Chinese Smartphone Makers Talking To Domestic Contract Manufacturers With PLI Nod

Chinese mobile phone makers including Oppo, Xiaomi and Transsion are in talks with domestic smartphone makers including Lava Internationa, Dixon Technologies and Bhagwati (Micromax) to take advantage of the approval status of India’s Production Linked Incentives (PLI) scheme It is for Manufacturers, media reported.

Also Read: Apple’s Long Rumored MR Headset Could Be Coming Soon

Talks between Chinese mobile phone makers and local Indian brands revolve around setting up joint ventures, The Economic Times reports, citing a senior government official. “Many of these discussions are at the due diligence stage,” the report added.

Don’t Miss: 2022: A Big Step Forward for iPhone Manufacturing in India

Private-label Bhagwati Products Ltd, also a division of Micromax, has partnered with two Chinese smartphone OEMs, including Shenzhen-based Transsion Holdings, to develop advanced technology to manufacture phones locally for the domestic market and for export. We are negotiating.

Rajesh Agarwal, Director of Bhagwati Products said: As the ET report says.

The Indian government’s commitment to multiple PLI schemes is said to have shown a positive impact, “we have seen an increase in local manufacturing share in product segments such as smartwatches, TWS, neckbands and tablets.” said the September Counterpoint Research report.

Oppo led the shipments of “Made in India” smartphones with 24% share, followed by Samsung and Vivo, while Lava led the shipments of feature phones with 21% share. bottom.

“Oppo recently announced its Vihaan initiative, where it plans to invest $60 million over the next five years to empower local supply chains. We have ramped up production,” said senior researcher Prachir Singh. Analysts at Counterpoint Research said in a statement:

In the smartphone segment, in-house manufacturing accounted for around 66% of ‘Made in India’ shipments in the June quarter, with the remaining 34% shipped by third-party EMS (Electronics Manufacturing Services) players. Among his EMS players from third parties, Bharat FIH, Dixon and DBG were the key players in the quarter.

Padget Electronics (396% YoY), Wistron (137% YoY) and Lava (110% YoY) were the fastest growing smartphone makers in Q4 shipments.